Friday, December 19, 2008

Eyes Never Lie

Guest blog written by Dave Moley

What do you get, when a single parent is trying to be Super Dad, get his software business off the ground, and still make effort to not fall into the cliché of, “all work and no play”?

If you guessed tired, dark eyes, then you win a prize! Yes the tell-tale signs of not enough sleep, getting older, and too much hard play not to mention the fact that the eyes never lie… have led me to find solace in another famous philosopher of our generation, “Its better to look good then to feel good.”

So thus begun my quest, not for the Holy Grail, but for the miracle eye cream to bring back that deer in the headlight youthful alertness (ok, so maybe not the best analogy).

I started small, going to Target and buying a box of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Eye Cream for $12. Well with hind sight being 20/20 I now realize you get what you pay for, and in this case, it definitely wasn’t Eye Redemption. Pretty much it was fun and exciting to put on my virgin eyes, but really no lasting effects.

This challenged me to go to the opposite end of the spectrum, and I wandered into my local Country Club Plaza MAC store. Quickly, I was greeted by an eager-eyed MAC professional, who was anxious to help me pick out the perfect gift. Imagine her shock, when it actually was me who was looking for something for myself.

After detailing my dramatic story, of my quest for eye rescue, she brought me over to the counter, and with angelic hymns parting the cloudy sky above, and beams of golden sunlight reigning down over her hands as she slowly held up what Steven Tyler himself uses and swears by; MAC Fast Response Eye Cream. “Sold” I said, and for $28.50 a heck of a bargain.

So I tried it. Felt alive for the first time in years (ok, maybe a bit much). But the truth is, It was a bit heavy, which would have been ok, if it worked. But, unfortunately, after daily use, it started clogging some pores, not to mention the fact that the dark circles would come back in a few hours. Although I did see significant improvement, alas, back to the quest.

So my journey finally led me to find the Kiehl’s counter at Nordstroms, which brings us to the present.

Kiehl’s Eye Alert, for $20.50 is heaven on earth. I’ve been using it daily for more than six months now, and it leaves Steven Tyler in the dust. Not sure what makes it work so well. Maybe its the combination of Vitamin E and caffeine. Maybe its that it's not oily at all, never clogs any pores. Maybe, that it seems to last all day, and after use, I can see immediate results.

Whatever it is, I’m content with it for now, but the quest for that elusive Fountain of Youth, finding balance in work and play, and being the best Super Dad that ever existed, never stops.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this blog! Thanks for making me laugh, Dave. I'm glad to hear that Super Dad's still take care of themselves :-)

    ReplyDelete